For our clients using Betterment as an account custodian, please take note of the following announced tax dates and helpful links that have been provided to us from Betterment:
We know tax season is one of the busiest times of the year, so we want to keep you informed on important dates and information that will help you manage your clients’ tax needs.
- Top Dates Investors Should Know for 2024:
- January 31: Forms 1099-R, 1099-INT, and FMV/RMD will be available by this date.
- February 15: Forms 1099-B, 1099-DIV, and the supplemental tax form will be available by this date.
- February 15: The first day clients will be able to import tax forms into an online tax preparation service (i.e. TurboTax). Please note that even if your clients’ forms are available in their Betterment account before this date, they will not be able to import them until February 15th.
- April 15, 11:59 PM ET: Betterment’s 2023 IRA contribution deadline.
- April 15: Last day for your clients to file their 2023 taxes with the IRS. This is also the deadline to recharacterize their 2023 contributions if they do not file an extension.
- The Most Common Tax Form Questions – Including answers about 1099-R distribution codes and more
- Answers to questions about reporting or calculating – For Municipal, State, Federal, and Foreign income from Form 1099-B/DIV (see “Income Sources” heading)
- Troubleshooting Tips for Importing Tax Forms – Instructions on how to import tax forms directly into tax software, such as TurboTax and H&R Block